Carrot is a super flavorful and beneficial vegetable for all human beings. This vegetable has extraordinary adaptable properties. Ultimately it can stay fresh and healthy in water for a very long duration. Do you want to know how to store carrots in water? well, we will discuss in detail preserving carrots using different methods.
The carrot can be used as a snack or as a key element of desserts, salad, soups and pot roasts. But here, the problem is how to store carrots long-term. If you cannot properly store the carrot, it will lose all its nutrients and benefits.
Moreover, if you are looking for some tips and different methods to store the carrot, you should have to read the article to get enough information about different methods to store carrots.
Additionally, here I will give you a detailed description of different ways of storing carrots. Without wasting any other second, let’s look at these methods one by one.
Read the article on the best juicer for carrots
7 Different Ways To Keep Carrots Fresh
How to store carrots in water?
Maybe this way of storing carrots is new for you. But believe me, this method is very easy and most versatile for keeping the veggies fresh for a long time.
If you follow the tips and tricks, I will tell you below properly. Then I am damn sure your stock of carrots will never be dry and dull again.
- First of all, cut off the upper part of every carrot. Removing the stem of the carrot is very important so that the roots of the carrots remain fresh for as long as possible.
Moreover, the green stem on the top of the carrot extracts water from the carrot with capillary action. Ultimately causes the carrot to dry quickly.
- The second step is to prepare a water bath. Make sure the water bath you will use in this process should be ready before cutting the stem of carrots.
Additionally, you need a covered bag or any sealable plastic bag for making the water bath. Now place the cut carrots into the bag or container. Fill the bag completely with water.
- After every five to seven days, when the water inside the bag becomes cloudy, add more water to it.
How to store carrots without refrigeration?
In the refrigerator, any type of fruit cannot stay fresh for a longer time duration. The optimum limit of any fruit or vegetable freshness in the refrigerator is approximately 1 week. Additionally, some veggies and fruits start drying after 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
If you are planning to store carrots for a longer duration, then you have to follow any other method except the refrigerator. The carrot starts wilting a week after keeping them in the refrigerator. Within a week, its taste and texture also changed.
Plastic bag method
The plastic bag method is one of the easiest and most accessible ways of storing carrots without a refrigerator. The main raw materials that will be used in this method are plastic bad and carrots.
The main point to notice here is that no zip-lock bag is used here. For this purpose, only a simple food plastic bag works exceptionally well. You can also use a rubber band for air-tightening the bag. Moreover, the alternative method is to use a knot on the bag.
- The first step is to wash the carrots with neat and clean water. After that, remove every type of debris or dirt if left behind after washing.
- After thoroughly cleaning, cut the bottom of the carrot and stem. Again wash it under clean water.
- Now, dry the damp carrot with the help of a paper towel or soft cloth. After a single use, discard the paper towel.
- Take a new paper towel, and place a carrot on it. Make sure each carrot is evenly spaced on the paper towel.
- The spacing step is very crucial in this regard. As if the carrot looks dry, it releases moisture for an hour.
- So make sure the carrots should be at an equal distance for an hour.
- After one hour, place every carrot on the paper towel in a safe food plastic bag.
- Now make a tight knot with the plastic bag so that no air can enter it. You can also utilise a rubber band for this purpose.
How to store carrots in the freezer?
For storing the carrot in the freezer you have to follow the below-mentioned steps. If you follow the steps properly, then it will help to keep carrots fresh for a longer duration.
- First of all, gather all the equipment that is used for peeling and cutting the carrot. This equipment includes a vegetable peeler, a cutting board, a knife, a pot for boiling water, a slotted spoon, a bowl for mixing, a baking sheet, wax or parchment and a freezer bag.
- You can peel the carrot if you want. I suggest you store it with the peel. Clean and trim the carrots one by one.
- Cut the carrot. The length of each slice should be ½ inches.
- Pour all the carrot slices into the boiling water. The purpose of this step is to blench it.
- Take a little ice in the bowl, and remove the carrots with the help of a slotted spoon into the bowl.
- Now place a lined baking sheet in front of you. Drain the carrots from the iced bowl. Make a single layer of carrots over a baking sheet.
- Place this parcel in the freezer for flash freezing for at least one or two hours. It will help to keep the carrot slice separate.
- After the flash freezing, place it in the food-safe plastic bag. Airtight it with a knot or a rubber band. The carrots are ready to freeze in the freezer.
How to store carrots in the fridge?
Now we are going to know how to store baby carrots in the fridge. For the proper, follow the directions mentioned below.
- Take all the carrots. Wash them properly with tap water. This washing helps to remove dirt and debris from the carrot surface.
- After proper washing, peel the carrots. Here you have a choice that you can store carrots with or without peeling them.
- If you choose a peeling method, then you have to wash carrots after peeling.
- Now take a paper towel and iced water in a bowl. Damped the paper towel in the cool water. Wrapped the damp paper towel around the carrots.
- Now take an airtight container or plastic bag. Keep the wrapped carrot inside the container or place it in a plastic bag and airtight it with a knot.
- Make sure to keep carrots in the colder section of the refrigerator, such as any place near the freezer or crisper drawer.
- By following these directions, you can utilise these carrots for 3 weeks.
How to store carrots in mason jars?
Now it’s time to tell you about the direction to store carrots in the Mason jar. So let’s quickly learn about the proper method to store carrot sticks in the jar.
- First of all, gather all the cutting and storing equipment like a mason jar, cutting board, knife and carrot.
- Now rinse the carrots with clean tap water after thoroughly washing. Cut every carrot into stick shapes.
- Moreover, place all the cut carrot sticks into the jar with a lid.
- Now you have to fill the jar with clean water. Make sure you have completely filled the jar.
- It is time to seal the jar lid completely. Make sure no air should be inside the jar.
- Place the container in a dry and cool place. You can also use the refrigerator to keep the jar.
- Take the jar from the cool place when you’re going to serve it. Do not eat without washing the sticks with water.
- Here the most important thing is, do not to forget to change the jar of water after every four to five days.
Storing carrots in sand
Sand storage is one of the most common methods for storing the carrot for the long term.
- In a wooden box, take 2 inches of the sand layer.
- Make a single layer of cut carrot over the sand layer. There should be equal spacing between every piece of the carrot.
- Make another layer of sand over the single layer of carrot. Repeat this procedure to the time when the box is totally filled.
- Without creating humidity in the surrounding, maintain the suitable moisture on the top sand.
How long can you keep a carrot in the water?
Answer: 3 weeks is the optimum time to keep carrots in the water. After this time, the carrot will be half-decayed. Moreover, while storing carrots in water, you need to check the water condition after every five to seven days.
Can you store carrots in the sand?
Answer: yes, we can store the carrots in the sand. Sand is the best medium to keep carrots fresh and enriched with nutrients. The main factor while storing carrots in the sand is moisture level on the top sand layer.
Are fermented carrots good for you?
Answer: yes, fermented carrot is exceptionally very beneficial for your health. It is the source of probiotics. Ultimately it improves digestion and immune system and allows for better brain function.
Can you freeze uncooked carrots?
Answer: yes, freezing uncooked carrots is totally okay. I recommend always storing uncooked and raw carrots as more nutrients and minerals will stay in the carrot in this way.
There are a lot of other methods for storing carrots. The above-mentioned methods are versatile and easy. Ultimately now you can store your stock of carrots easily without any problem by practising these methods.